Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for visa?

You may visit the website of the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Beijing ( and get relevant information and downloadable application forms, or call the Embassy (10 – 65321861/2 Ext. 120 or 121) between 9.00 a.m – 5.00 p.m on any weekday.

How can I register births, deaths and marriages?

The Embassy of Sri Lanka in Beijing can register births, deaths, and marriages of citizens of Sri Lanka, which have occurred in China.
Please visit the website of the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Beijing ( for relevant information and downloadable application forms.

How can I get my certificates attested while I am residing in China?

Attestation of a certificate can be done through a person s Next-of-Kin (NOK) ( mother / father / brothers / sisters / spouse ) by contacting the Consular Affairs Division of the Ministry of External Affairs in Sri Lanka.

What are the supporting documents for attestation of documents to be submitted at the Consular Division of the Ministry of External Affairs?

Passport copy of the applicant and a letter requesting for attestation addressed to the Consular Affairs Division of the Ministry of External Affairs.

What is ETA?

It is an Electronic Travel Authorization granted online through the web based ETA system by the Department of Immigration & Emigration of Sri Lanka. For more details please visit

What types of ETA are available?

Only for short visits to Sri Lanka for the purpose of Business, Tourism and Transit.

What is the ETA Website?

Please refer to

How should I lodge an application?

All you need to lodge an ETA application through this site is your valid passport and a credit card (American Express, Master or ETA cards).

Do I need a ticket before I apply for ETA?

You do not need to arrange your flight to Sri Lanka before applying for ETA.

How do I know if my ETA is still valid for travel to Sri Lanka?

If you have applied for ETA, you can inquire through the site to find out the current status of your ETA. You will need to enter Reference Number when the inquiry is made. To check your ETA application status you may log into the ETA website or contact 24/7 dedicated ETA call centre.

What happens when application is not approved?

If your ETA application is not approved it will be referred to the nearest Sri Lanka Overseas Mission which you may contact for further assistance.

If my application for ETA was unsuccessful can I get my processing fee back?

No. It is not refundable.

What can I do if I make a mistake in my application?

Once an application is submitte,d processed, and payment is made, you cannot cancel the transaction and the payment cannot be reimbursed. Therefore, it is important that you feed your personal details correctly.

If you have made an error, it is important that you correct it before confirmation. Once you have confirmed the details, your credit card will be debited for the non-refundable service charge. If you find out later that you have made a mistake, then submit a fresh application with relevant fee again.


Contact Us|Feedback|FAQs|Site Map|Sri Lanka Citizen Registration